Occupy the Airwaves – International Women’s Day, 8 March
Occupy the Airwaves is back on Thursday 8 March, International Women’s Day.
Dreadnought South West are be producing 16 hours of women’s music, ideas and action on the radio.
This year we will be thinking and talking about the centenary of the first votes for some women (Representation of The Peoples Act 1918) and the activism of women since then as a catalyst for the content of the programmes.
We will have WREN music live in the studio singing songs from their Herstory projects. There will be a programme on women’s activism sharing stories from Dreadnought’s newly launched Rebellious Sounds Archive. Young women will be talking about Getting Started in activism and some more seasoned campaigners will be discussing their current activities in main stream politics. There will be a programme on Arab Women and Activism hosted by Sharifa, and Lande will be hosting her punk music by women slot later to carry us to the end of International Women’s Day.
Here is the full schedule for the day, from 8am until midnight:
- 0800–0930: Waking up to IWD with Josie Sutcliffe and Natalie McGrath
- 0930–1030: Rebellious Threads with Kerrie Seymour
- 1030–1200: Her story, Her Activism with Josie Sutcliffe
- 1200–1300: Women in Business with Mattie Richardson
- 1300–1500: Words Are Actions/Being Heard not part of a Herd with Cathy Towers
- 1500–1700: Rebellious Sounds/LGBTQ and History of Suffrage/Artists as Activists with Natalie McGrath
- 1700–1800: First Taking a Stand: Young Women’s Activism with Kerrie Seymour
- 1800–1900: Women and Food/Women and the Land with Michelle Ridings
- 1900–2030: Women and Politics with Josie Sutcliffe
- 2030–2130: Sexual Abuse services, local and regional impact with Sharifa
- 2130–2330: Women and Protest Songs with Lande Hekt
- 2330–0000: Wrapping Up with Josie Sutcliffe and Natalie McGrath
Listen again to all programmes here: https://www.mixcloud.com/josut/playlists/occupy-the-airwaves-2018/
Meanwhile, in Exeter Phoenix’s Workshop space, we will be exhibiting and sharing work by women currently involved in Dreadnought projects; the Rebellious Sounds Banner and Rebellious Threads.
Come and join us, share your stories, have a cuppa, and some food generously donated by some of Exeter’s finest businesses.
Occupy the Airwaves 2018 is funded by Exeter City Council’s Small Arts Grants Fund, supported by Exeter Phoenix and Phonic FM.